20110210

Winter Greens and Lots of Snow


This picture was taken last week during one of our increasingly frequent snow storms. Mum and I had just harvested kale and arugula from our beds, even under all the snow! I went to one season extension workshop in the fall, and all I did afterwards was throw a few sheets over our winter greens and harvest by flashlight when I'm dying for nutrients. And they were still there!

Last night mother nature dumped a good 'nother 18 inches on us, and I haven't trampled out there yet to check on my little green babies. I'm not too worried though, because I am wonderfully content with the cookies that have been circulating the SoS/TLC working groups. Mum and I were a little, uh, too enthusiastic, though, so I think I'm going to have to bake some more for the next recipient.

Now that I think about it, it's around 9 and I haven't had any real food all day. Unless you count yummy buttery pasta for breakfast or the yummy buttery popcorn to accompany our Netflix instant streaming. Or the cookies and peppermint patties and chocolate-chip pumpkin bread our friend from down the street made for us. So good! I may have to go make myself a leek quiche to make myself feel less guilty. I passed the recipe on to my sister the other day after she (and everyone else) swooned over it at a baking party over the holidays. It really is delicious. Thanks to French Cooking at Home and to Leslie who gave it to me, it is in my heart forever. Ohmnomnom.

Pictures of our Dr. Suess like porch to come soon! (I never usually keep that promise, but I'll really do my best this time since it's so humorous.) Also humorous that a huge chunk of ice fell off our roof and onto our heater this morning, temporarily breaking it. Mum and I bundled up to shovel it out, and I ended up lounging in the snow watching snowflakes as they melted on my coat. The world is really cool.

4 comments:

  1. Cookie Exchange! It would be great if you facilitated a cookie exchange online (recipe swap).

    You would love...
    *Lemon Ricotta Cookies
    *Thin Mint Ritz Cookies
    *English Toffee (An AK Family Favorite)

    Yea cookies!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok, I figured out how to follow your blog! Does that mean it will be sent to my email address I assume -- hope so. And you mentioned me in it, oh boy, now I'm famous :-)
    I testify, your quiches are FANTASTIC!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Serena, your blog is lovely! I love reading your current and previous posts!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yummy, yummy! I like the idea of a cookie swap!

    So, I'm actually not sure that you get sent emails when you follow it. In fact, I'm pretty sure you don't. I'll make sure you're on the email list, though, which I'm pretty sure I can edit. I'll go figure it out!

    Thank you so much, Christina! Come back for more!

    ReplyDelete