20101107

Videos, Rotary Exchange, and a green roof to come!

Hello, hello!

I owe you an update:

1)Here's are two wonderful videos of the Youth Summit in Minneapolis last week.

In the first one, you'll see Abby speaking first (she's incredible!), I'm thrown in there, then there's Ethan, our all-inspiring coordinator.

In the second, a student-made video by my friend Taylor from the leadership team, has actual footage of the Summit and some break out sessions. Hope you enjoy, and please pass it on!

2)I am applying for the Rotary Exchange program. That means, if my interview goes well tomorrow, I will be spending my senior year of high school overseas!

It's both exciting and nerve-racking. I don't want to disconnect myself from the grassroots movement, so I want to take a new perspective: In my exchange, I hope to make connections with other leaders in climate change and youth organization. It’s empowering to solidify this movement globally, and that's what I hope to do.

10.10.10, 350.org's Global Work Party, inspired events all over the world. It's incredible! There are youth organizers everywhere! We're not alone, and they're are photos to prove it!

3) The campaign to build a green roof on the new FHS building is going really well!

The planning team had our first meeting this past Wednesday, and a second is planned for this upcoming Tuesday. Dana Smith, FHS's new Energy Corps representative, is helping facilitate the meetings, and she even got us a field trip scheduled to the roof of the public library!

(The Fayetteville Public Library was the first in Arkansas to be recognized by the U.S. Green Building Council's Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED). We also have solar panels and a green roof!)

That's all for now. Thank you always for your support!

Best of luck,
Serena

2 comments:

  1. Serena,
    You're an inspiration; everything you do seems to reflect your genuine concern for the environment, as well as illuminates your energy and character.I enjoy reading your blog from time to time, keep it up! I wish you well at the interview.
    P.S. where are you considering being an exchange student?...your blog left me hanging...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved looking at those 10.10.10 photos so much. I'm really glad you're already beginning planning for the green roof. Please keep me posted!

    ReplyDelete